Wednesday 15 October 2014

Apples Apples Apples

The apple season is over us, and I have been given lots of cooking apples from a lovely neighbor - like two shopping bags and a big bucket lots :-)

The thing is - I just can't turn down an offer like that, so what to do...

I have tried to do different thing with them - diced and halved some for the freezer, ready for crumble and pie, cooked some with sugar and vanilla to serve with crushed macaroons and whipped cream and finally I made 2.5 liters of apple squash, which is different but nice.

So tonight, since the in-laws are here and it's the girls autumn half term, I found a recipe for apple pie here, but since it's in Danish I thought I'd just translate :-)

Sweet pastry
You need 2 portions, one for the base and one for the lid:
100 g butter
150 g flour
1½ tsp sugar
pinch of salt
½-1 egg

Mix butter, flour, sugar and salt until crumbled, then add the egg and bring it all together. 

Filling
5 apples, halved
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
egg for egg wash
sugar for sprinkling

Roll out one portion of the pastry for the base. 



Place the apples on the pastry, round side up. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples

Roll out the lid and place over the apples and join with the base at the edge. Cut some holes to allow the steam from the apples to get out.


Finally, bake for 25-35 mins. on 180 degrees and Ta-daaa...


Enjoy :-)

Gitte x


2 comments:

  1. You/re on a roll girl...I love all your posts popping up. I've just had a new kitchen fitted so i think i might have to try out your apple pie recipe in my new oven x x enjoy half term x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do - it's amazing and easy to make as well. I'm sure the boys will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete